Arcadia’s exclusive curated experiences give you uncommon access to sites and people that reward the curious mind. Each expedition tells a story, with their expert team of leading academics and local guides ensuring you have an experience like no other. It’s like joining the making of a documentary, but without the camera crew.
Today, we bring four popular destinations to life – New Zealand, Turkey, Georgia and Iran. Scroll down for a closer look at each of these intriguing destination expeditions.
New Zealand – The Story of Aotearoa
13 Days | Lead by Dr James Robinson & Ceillhe Sperath | Maximum 16 travellers
This one-of-a-kind expedition tells the story of Aotearoa, delving deep into its history, people, culture and incredible wilderness environments. As you journey north to south in the company of renowned archaeologist Dr James Robinson and award-winning Māori guide Ceillhe Sperath, each destination is a new chapter in the story.
- Immersive and personalised experiences with Māori people and culture in the company of expert archaeologist Dr James Robinson and Māori guide Ceillhe Sperath
- A remarkable helicopter-accessed walking experience in one of the country’s most pristine wilderness areas
- A full-day private cruise to the stunning Bay of Islands, viewing marine life and following the stories of Polynesian arrival and Captain Cook
- A two-night stay in a purpose-built Pioneers Camp in the Wanaka wilderness
- Incredible food and wine experiences, including a seafood dinner cooked in a geothermal pool and a Māori forest food trail
- Stays in some of New Zealand’s most atmospheric hotels, from the colonial charm of the Duke of Marlborough to the ethereal sanctuary of Treetops Lodge & Estate
6th October – 18th October 2022
26th March – 7th April 2023
From $28,415 Per Person Twin Share
Turkey – Rumi and the World of Mystical Sufism
17 Days | Lead by Seemi Ghazi | Maximum 16 travellers
This expedition takes in the stunning highlights of Turkey with an in-depth exploration of the life of Rumi. Led by an expert on Sufism and comparative religion, journey into the mysterious realm of mysticism and examine the exceptional spiritual path taken by Rumi, a path that caused tension within his own community and the wider Islamic religion.
- Travel in the company of our Expedition Leader Seemi Ghazi, and meet with local scholars, religious leaders and Rumi experts
- Immerse yourself in the mystical world of Sufism through visits to 500-year-old Dervish lodges and the mesmerising spectacle of the Whirling Dervish ceremony
- Indulge in the rich culinary traditions of Turkey with a street food tasting trail in Istanbul and meals at some of the country’s best restaurants
- Stay in some of the most character-filled hotels in the country, including a landmark Istanbul heritage hotel and an opulent cave hotel in Cappadocia, where every room is a restored archaeological treasure
- Cruise the crystal-clear waters of the Aegean Sea for a day onboard a gulet, a traditional Turkish boat
3rd – 19th June 2022
18th May – 3rd June 2023
From $13,520 Per Person Twin Share
Georgia – A Food & Wine Revolution
16 Days | Lead by John Wurdeman | Maximum 16 travellers
Georgia is home to one of the most ancient agrarian cultures on earth. It was here, in the rich loamy soils beneath the Caucasus, the wild grapes that grew abundantly in this region began to be cultivated more than 8,000 years ago, making Georgia the oldest winemaking tradition in the world. It is Georgia’s unique geography, combined with its chequered history, that has given birth to the extraordinarily diverse culinary and wine tradition that we see today.
- Meet with renowned local winemakers, stroll through their vineyards and taste with them their rare grape varieties and back vintages
- Take in the stunning highlights of Georgia including visits to ancient monasteries, cathedrals and the incredible scenery of the Caucasus Mountains and Black Sea
- Learn about the correlation between Georgian polyphonic songs, cuisine and wine and how they reflect Georgian landscapes, climates and history
- Forage in the forests for wild food, visit farmers markets, drink at hidden wine bars and learn to cook delicious Georgian cuisine with expert local chefs
- Learn to feast like a local, enjoying and contributing to toasts laced with poetry whilst enjoying cascading amber wine and delectable dishes
24th May – 8th June 2022
6th – 21st September 2022
23rd May – 7th June 2023
5th – 20th September 2023
From $13,655 Per Person Twin Share
Iran – End of Empire – Alexander v the Persians
26 Days | Lead by Dr John Tidmarsh | Maximum 16 travellers
This one-of-a-kind expedition explores the incredible story of Alexander the Great’s conquest of Persia and the destruction of the Achaemenid Empire. Taking in the iconic highlights of Iran, this journey first investigates the rise of the Achaemenids and their warrior kings Cyrus, Darius and Xerxes – conquerors of much of the ancient world. We then meet Alexander’s army, as they cross from what is today Iraq, to take the ancient city of Susa.
- Travel through the diverse and dramatic landscapes of Iran as we follow in the footsteps of Alexander the Great and his army
- Explore a wealth of World Heritage sites including Persepolis, Bam, Yazd and the mythical Takhti-e-Soleyman – The Throne of Solomon
- Explore the site of the Battle of the Persian Gates with local custodians and then stay overnight in their home to enjoy a traditional feast
- Visit Tehran’s fascinating Reza Abbasi Museum with its curator, who will show us the highlights of Achaemenids history and culture
- Explore some of the most wondrous cities of the ancient world including the awe-inspiring circular cities of Gour and Darabgerd
- Stay in atmospheric hotels including renovated caravanserai’s and a 300-year old property once used by Silk Road traders
7th May – 1st June 2022
14th October – 8th November 2022
17th May – 11th June 2023
7th October – 1st November 2023
From $15,530 Per Person Twin Share
*Terms and conditions apply. Prices are in AUD and are subject to availability.